Estimated Reading Time: <1
The former governor of Borno State, Ali Modu Sheriff was Monday attacked at the palace of the Shehu of Borno.
The youths vandalized the car that ferried Sherrif but the former governor was whisked away after a short stay with the Borno monarch.
The youths who pelted the convoy of the former governor with stones said they did not want him in the state because he abandoned them and ran away at the peak of the Boko Haram violence.
They demanded that Sheriff be turned back from the palace.
A resident of Shehuri, Abba Kolomi, a who spoke to journalists said the youths, numbering over 100, attacked the long convoy of the former governor and insisted that they did not want to see him in the state.
Kolomi said the former governor was a coward who chose to take advantage of the relative peace enjoyed in Maiduguri to launch his political game “that is not in the interest of the generality of the residents of Borno State.”
Another resident of Shehuri, Modu Ibrahim, said, “As soon as he (Sheriff) was sighted, the youths threw stones, sachets of pure water and fire woods at his convoy. They tore his posters and threw it at his convoy.
“The youths shouted ‘we do not like you, get out of here.’ ‘ You are the cause of our problems, you are the cause of Borno problem, you brought Boko Haram crisis on the state.’”
Ibrahim said the former governor had to be ferried into the palace of the Shehu by his security details.
Additional content Credit: PUNCH
- Lagos State Government to close Apapa Dock for railway project
- Kaduna State government rescues 160 Almajiri children
- Bauchi State government to rehabilitate Tafawa Balewa’s tomb
- University of Ibadan announces resumption, says first semester of 2020/2021 will hold virtually
- Buhari’s pigeons refused to fly at armed forces remembrance celebration
- Inflation rate hits 15.75% in December– highest in 39 months
- Cheta Nwanze: Remembrance day, the Nigerian Army has a murderous reputation
- Breaking: Former Bauchi lawmaker kidnapped
- 23 deaths and 1,479 new cases reported in one day as COVID-19 pandemic sweeps 25 Nigerian states
- LASU college of medicine shuts hostel after COVID-19 outbreak among students