Estimated Reading Time: <1
Ebonyi State Governor Martin Elechi, on Thursday, described the proposed national conference as a waste of time.
He said it would distract President Jonathan as the general elections approach, describing it “as a big joke.”
Governor Elechi made the statement in his home town in Ikwo when some elder statesmen paid him a Christmas visit towards discussing the modalities of selecting delegates to the conference.
The governor shocked them when he said that the state would not participate in the exercise.
Elechi had earlier lauded the initiative and urged Nigerians to avail themselves the opportunity of contributing meaningfully to the conference so that any grievances would be addressed. But in a dramatic change of mind, he said that he was sceptical about the conference as it would not achieve anything since the constitution already empowered the National Assembly to make laws for the country.
Alhough Elechi said he would consult his consitutuents to deliberate on whether or not to participate in the conference, he said that if they eventually chose to participate, he would distance himself and be an onlooker.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami