Estimated Reading Time: <1
Ebonyi State Governor Martin Elechi, on Thursday, described the proposed national conference as a waste of time.
He said it would distract President Jonathan as the general elections approach, describing it “as a big joke.”
Governor Elechi made the statement in his home town in Ikwo when some elder statesmen paid him a Christmas visit towards discussing the modalities of selecting delegates to the conference.
The governor shocked them when he said that the state would not participate in the exercise.
Elechi had earlier lauded the initiative and urged Nigerians to avail themselves the opportunity of contributing meaningfully to the conference so that any grievances would be addressed. But in a dramatic change of mind, he said that he was sceptical about the conference as it would not achieve anything since the constitution already empowered the National Assembly to make laws for the country.
Alhough Elechi said he would consult his consitutuents to deliberate on whether or not to participate in the conference, he said that if they eventually chose to participate, he would distance himself and be an onlooker.
- “They are criminals” – Governor Seyi Makinde wants police to arrest those stoking ethnic tension
- CBN warns that revised cheque book becomes fully operational April 1
- DJ Khaled to host MTV Africa Music Awards Kampala 2021
- 600 Nigerians stranded in Saudi Arabia will be brought home soon – Abike Dabiri-Erewa
- Just In: University workers begin indefinite strike February 5
- Vice President Osinbajo raises alarm over increasing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases
- After a 2 year break, singer-songwriter DavidB, is back with ‘These Crazy Times’
- Chief Sunday Igboho insists Fulani herdsmen must leave Yoruba Land
- Don Jazzy unveils new 18-year-old female artiste
- Insecurity: Nasarawa State turns to President Buhari for help