Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Courtney Subramanian
National Security Administration leaker Edward Snowden warned of the dangers of government surveillance in a Christmas message broadcast Wednesday in the United Kingdom.
Britain’s Channel 4 News featured Snowden, who leaked classified documents revealing details of the U.S. surveillance mechanism, in its annual “alternative Christmas message.” The outlet has featured high-profile figures who have influenced the year’s news since 1993. Past guests include former Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as well as Sharon Osbourne.
“Great Britain’s George Orwell warned us of the danger of this kind of information. The types of collection in the book — microphones and video cameras, TVs that watch us — are nothing compared to what we have available today,” Snowden said during the broadcast. “We have sensors in our pockets that track us everywhere we go.”
- Photos: Royal Funeral for Prince Philip as he’s laid to rest at Windsor Castle
- One dead as bandits attack police checkpoint in Taraba
- COVID-19: ‘Forcing people to be vaccinated is immoral’ Bishop Oyedepo says
- Nigerian Government drill boreholes in Buhari home state to avoid the spread of Covid-19
- Odua self-determination rally suffers setback as police surround venue in Ibadan
- Dogs to complement security arrangements in Katsina boarding schools
- Breaking: University of Ibadan releases 2020/2021 Post-UTME results
- Nigeria Medical Association denies ties with criminal bandits of Zamfara
- Peru’s former president, Martin Vizcarra, banned from holding public office
- Was Nigeria’s finance minister ignorant? or lying? – CBN Governor Emefiele says Printing money is a cardinal job of the lenders