Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Hadiza Saidu
From the runway to high street, this season is filled with trends worth trying and there’s something for everyone. Take a look at our top 8 trends and pieces to draw inspiration from.
1. HOUNDSTOOTH: This timeless print has made a stylish return and designers are loving it, it’s neutral and can be worn for virtually any occasion. From work wear to casual attire, semi formal to formal attire the houndstooth exudes truly chic and modern appeal. Women of every age, size and shape can express their own unique personality and style with ease because of its smart versatility.
2. PLAIDS, CHECKS AND TARTAN: This grunge look that was a huge hit in the nineties is back with a big bang. But the tartan doesn’t have to be in flannel anymore or limited to the lumberjack shirts, it’s now glamorous and luxurious. The choices range from plaid dresses, plaid skinny pants, plaid leggings, plaid skirts, plaid jackets, plaid coats and of course the good old plaid shirts.
3. PEPLUM: Peplums have welcomed this season with a more structured elegance. The peplum is still in vogue so go ahead and find the right one for your figure. It defines the waist for fuller figures and add s curves to slender figures. Peplum jackets are a must for every woman’s wardrobe and a pretty good buy. Don’t leave out the peplum blouses and dresses on your shopping list too.
4. EMERALD: Termed the 2013 colour and still going strong, from army to emerald green it adds an exclamation mark to your look. Your wardrobe is incomplete without a piece of this colour, use emerald in combination with gold, black or burgundy to give it an extra special and chic classy look. Emerald looks incredibly good in statement pieces and accessories.
5. WINTER WHITE: Winter white is the light in this season’s fashion and you can be in the light by going all out in an all white ensemble. This look is bold without being flamboyant and suits everyone. Don’t just think this works at night only; you can also impress your friends with a white casual look during the day.
6. LEATHER: This is my favourite and also the most worn fashion trend of all times for this season. Our hot weather isn’t often suitable for this look but adding a few pieces of leather to your look on a cool day will do. This trend can be extremely chic, sporty and womanly depending on how it is styled. It adds that edge to your look. Leather from head to toe is a definite no unless you’re a biker babe.
7. PINK: From dusky paler shades to bubble gum, pink is the colour for autumn. This colour is a dynamic hue that has the uncanny ability to evoke a bold and vibrant look one moment then just as quickly it can be transformed to a subtle and understated look.
8. LEOPARD PRINT: Leopard prints are not going anywhere soon. The classic brown and black are a definite yes. This trend can be seen in bags, dresses, sweaters, pants, blazers and accessories. It can be worn in more chic and understated way too. Go ahead and splurge on this animal print trend.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami