Estimated Reading Time: <1
Aliko Dangote, Africa’s richest man, has denied reports he will run for the presidency on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 2019.
Dangote made the denial in an interview with Daily Times.
He was reacting to a report that officials of PDP think-tank programme set up by former President Goodluck Jonathan have contacted him to be the party’s candidate in 2019.
The businessman distanced from politics, saying his passion is to create jobs.
“I am an entrepreneur. My passion is to create jobs for Nigerians and not otherwise”, Dangote said.
“I am not interested in politics and this is authoritative. No member of any think tank committee has contacted me. people should stop dropping my name for the 2019 presidency.
“I also seize this opportunity to warn name droppers to desist from their infamous act. They should stop using my name for politics.”
The billionaire also accused people who were jealous of his business exploits of attempting to set him on a collision course with President Muhammadu Buhari, whom he described as a fatherly figure.
“This whole thing is an attempt by people who do not like me. They are doing all these with a view to putting me on a collision course with President Muhammadu Buhari and the ruling party. They are people who are jealous of the successes I have so far recorded in business,” he said.
“My passion is for business development, provision of jobs and wealth creation, not politics. I have never shown interest in politics. I’m not interested in politics. I am not a politician. My passion has always been business and business.
“Buhari is like a father to me. Nobody should try to set me on a collision course with President Buhari. That will not work. I have high regard and respect for the president.
“For emphasis once again, I am not a politician. I can’t and won’t confront President Buhari. They should leave me out of any high wire politics and horse trading.
“By the time the ongoing Dangote refinery in Lagos and the sugar projects come on stream fully, there will be a great positive development and thousands of jobs created that will change the narrative in the country. That is my passion.”
- Lagos Govt withdraws charges against Naira Marley & former Guber aspirant who attended Funke Akindele’s Party
- Breaking: Nigeria Records Another COVID-19 Death
- Katsina Relaxes Social Distancing Rules; Lifts Ban On Friday Prayers
- AfDB President, Akinwunmi Adesina Denies Allegations Of Misconduct
- Africa Faces Massive Job Cuts In The Energy Sector – AEC
- #COVID19: EU to Help Africa With €15 Billion
- Poor People Are Not Sufficiently Captured By SIP – Senate President
- Keep your Smartphone Corona-Free: Kaspersky Shares Top Tips
- COVID-19: Customs Boss Approves Release Of Rice, Other Items Worth N3.2bn For Distribution
- “I am ready to set aside my immunity” – Governor Wike reveals those making Rivers state Vulnerable to Coronavirus