Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Goodluck Jonathan on Saturday congratulated President Jacob Zuma and his party, the African National Congress (ANC) on their resounding victory in the South African general elections.
A statement by the Presidential Spokesperson, Dr Reuben Abati, stated in Abuja.
It said that Jonathan welcomed the ANC’s victory with over 60 per cent of the votes cast in the election to the South African Parliament and provincial legislatures
The president said that the victory was an affirmation of the enduring popularity of President Zuma and the party of Nelson Mandela, Oliver Tambo and other great heroes of the anti-apartheid movement.
Jonathan also said that the victory was a reaffirmation of the confidence of the majority of the people of South Africa in the ability of the ANC Government to progressively achieve more inclusive national economic development and prosperity.
Abati said that President Jonathan and Nigeria felicitated with the people of South Africa on the peaceful and successful conduct of the elections which were the first since the passing away of Dr. Nelson Mandela.
The president said he believed that the elections and the ANC’s fifth consecutive victory at national polls were a well-deserved tribute to the Madiba (Mandela).
He said that the Madiba’s contributions to the emergence of a non-racist and truly democratic South Africa remained legendary.
Abati said that the president looked forward to continue to work with President Zuma and his ANC Government.
According to him, this is with a view to further strengthen the cordial and mutually-beneficial relations between Nigeria and South Africa, especially in the area of bilateral trade and investments.
The president also noted that under the continued leadership of the ANC, Nigeria and South Africa would keep on working together with others for the attainment of greater peace, political stability, economic development and progress in all parts of the African continent.
He wished President Zuma and the ANC enduring accomplishments in the service of the people of South Africa.
- No better opportunity than now for all Christians to pray – Buhari’s Easter Message to Nigerians
- COVID-19: Health Minister says he is not aware if medical doctors in Nigeria are paid hazard allowance
- I never knew Nigeria’s healthcare infrastructure was in such bad state – Senior Nigerian Govt official says
- Lagos Govt denies relaxing lockdown in the state for Easter celebration
- Bauchi State governor, Senator Bala Mohammed tests negative for Coronavirus
- Lagos commissioner says government will soon commence search for COVID-19 patients in communities
- NCDC confirms 14 new COVID-19 cases in Nigeria
- COVID-19: Enahoro, Ali Get Presidential Pardon… 2,600 Inmates Freed
- Pharmacist Arrested For Raping A 12 Year Old Boy
- Court ask Naira Marley to shoot a video against the spread of COVID-19 pandemic – The Singer had said he didn’t believe in the virus