Estimated Reading Time: 1
Residents of Makini and Dankurmi community in Zamfara State are reportedly fleeing their homes after being asked by some bandits to pay an imposed levy or face attacks.
Yusuf Anka, a security analyst in the state said the bandits imposed the sum of 550,000 & and two motorcycles.
Unable to raise the levy among themselves, the residents have started fleeing for their lives.
Reporting the situation, Anka on Tuesday tweeted, “Armed Bandits Have imposed a leavy of 550,000 & and two motorcycles or risk attack on Makini, Dankurmi, Zamfara. Unable to raise the amount the people are migrating to neighbouring communities.”
Meanwhile, Governor of Zamfara State, Bello Matawalle has said his administration is seeking a new approach to handle insecurity issues in the state.
Matawalle warned armed bandits in the state to repent or change base as he draws a new roadmap in his approach to handling the issue of security challenges facing the state, according to a statement from his spokesman, Yusuf Gusau.
He said his recent suspension of a district head in Shinkafi emirate for conniving with bandits was just a tip of the iceberg said, in the next four days, he will overwhelm all those making life unbearable to innocent citizens in the state.
Matawalle further said he has discussed extensively with President Muhammadu Buhari and the nation’s service chiefs on the new approach which is most likely going to deal seriously with deceptive and unrepentant bandits.
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll