Estimated Reading Time: 1
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai has accused former Presidents Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan of persecuting him because they saw him as a political threat.
Daily Trust reports that El-Rufai said in an interview that while Yar’Adua humiliated him because he felt ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo was considering him as his successor, Jonathan persecuted him because he believed he was a threat to his second term.
El-Rufai served as Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja when Obasanjo was president between 1999 and 2007.
Yar’Adua was governor of Katsina State when Jonathan was deputy governor of Bayelsa State.
Yar’Adua later succeeded Obasanjo with Jonathan as his deputy. Upon the death of Yar’Adua on May 5, 2010, Jonathan took over as president.
In the interview, El-Rufai alleged that while Yar’Adua started the persecution, Jonathan continued with it.
“Jonathan was convinced by his own circle too that I was a threat and that if he was going for a second term of office, he had to take me out of the race. And so, Jonathan continued the persecution that Yar’adua started.”
“I have been associated with running for President since 2005, 2006, about 15 years. I’ve suffered for this, I’ve even been exiled for it and Jonathan tried to put me in prison for it.
“My name being mentioned with regard to presidential aspiration has been on since 2006, since I was running the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. People were speculating that the then President Olusegun Obasanjo was preparing to hand over to me. It was part of the reasons I was exiled. Late President Yar’adua was told, according to those around him, that Obasanjo shortlisted two names to succeed him – Yar’Adua’s name and mine. It was totally false.
“But Yar’adua believed that, and he thought I was a threat, and all the hullabaloo, lies and persecution that got me exiled for 23 months were because of that.” he said.
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond