Estimated Reading Time: 2
Sheikh Ahmed Gumi, a Kaduna-based Islamic cleric who has been advocating peace deals with terrorist herders, has claimed that terror group Boko Haram and not the bandits are the mastermind of the Greenfield University abduction.
The 22 students and a teacher were abducted on April 18 when Armed men stormed the school. Five of the students have been killed by the gunmen.
Speaking on the abduction in an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Tuesday, Gumi said that his peace seeking effort has revealed that the abductors were not the bandits that he has had a negotiation history with.
Gumi said, ”Yes, really because when we tried to trace them and put some sense into them, the contact who is also a Normadic Fulani, they threatened him. They said if he insists on them they were going to catch him and he will have to pay ransom before he gets out.
“And the leader is from Jalingo. He is from Adamawa. He is not the local Fulani we have here. So this means that North-Eastern element is coming into this area and we have to move fast. We don’t have that luxury of time.
“I have been trying to speak with government but nobody is really trying to listen to me or speak with me on this issue.
“We are trying to pacify and remove this banditry and they are responding.”
There are fears that more students might be killed as one of the abductors who granted an interview over the weekend with Hausa Service of the Voice of America threatened that other students might be killed if the ransom for their release is not paid.
But despite increasing pressure on the Kaduna State government to reverse it no-ransom rule with the bandits, the government has maintained it will not shift its stance.
Reacting to the decision of the Kaduna state government not to negotiate with bandits, Sheik Gumi said
”Five souls were killed. Why? What amount of money is too big for us to save the lives of those five students, what amount of money? secondly, we can give them the money to get the boys out of danger then go after our money. Nobody is saying you shouldn’t find them..you can get the two back.
“To say you will not negotiate with them and also not take action against them, I cannot understand that.”
- Uzodimma vs Okorocha: Eastern Palm University VC sacked
- Troops have rescued 13 citizens kidnapped by terrorists in Kaduna
- PHOTOS: Funeral Service for Chimamanda Adichie’s mother; Mrs Grace Ifeoma Adichie
- Buhari’s Presidency has surrendered “our nation to terrorists” – PDP
- 27 abducted students of the college of forestry, Kaduna have been released
- Federal Government begins process to deploy 5G Technology
- Father Mbaka resurfaces, allays supporters’ fears
- Facebook upholds decision to suspend Donald Trump from platform
- ‘We will all suffer if Nigeria is not better’ – Isa Pantami
- ‘We don’t have Father Mbaka’ – DSS responds