Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Minister of Agriculture, Adesina Akinwunmi, has said no fewer than 6,618 youths have been trained in agriculture business and large scale farming.
He spoke at the Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti, on Friday, during a press play programme organised by the United Mandate to enlighten youths on how to become wealth creators.
Akinwunmi, who was represented by the Higher Education Officer in charge of gender and youth, Mr. Blaise Ogbozor, lamented that many youths were not tapping into available opportunities on how to gain financial support from government.
“Nigerian youths are so cynical and unaware of what is going on around them and especially about the government policies. Since 2012, government has been following a programme to revolutionise agriculture,” he added.
Stressing the potential in farming, he added, “we must not leave agriculture to the old people and village people alone.”
The South-West Programme Officer of United Mandate, Olufemi Lawson, said the target of press play was to reach out to youths between the age of 18 and 35 years all over the country, especially students of universities, polytechnics and colleges of education.
He said, “The mentality of Nigerian youth is that government must provide job to them after school. The truth is that there is no government anywhere in the world that can employ all the youths.
“We realised that there are windows of opportunity being created by government at federal and state levels like SMEDAN, YouWin, SURE-P, NAPEP etc.
“We have come to enlighten students on how to tap into these opportunities. You don’t have to be a graduate before you can access some of these opportunities. By this, youth can become job creators instead of job seekers.
- APC wants security agencies to probe reports linking suspected cybercriminal, Hushpuppi to top-ranking PDP members
- Just In: Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has tested negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, tests Positive for COVID-19
- Governor Akeredolu rejects the idea of handing over power to deputy governor
- Eunice Ortom, wife of Benue State governor, her son and some of her staff have tested positive for COVID-19
- Udo Jude Ilo: Making the best of the Public Anger on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence
- Edo Elections: PDP picks Nyesom Wike as campaign chairman
- Governor Abdulrazaq reshuffles cabinet
- LASG announces partial reopening of schools
- Kogi Governor appoints acting Chief Judge