Estimated Reading Time: <1
A 36-year-old woman, Ifeyinwa Nlemchi,who allegedly burnt her husband’s official documents to protest his adulterous acts, was on Monday hauled up before a Yaba Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos. The accused, who resides at No. 45, Church St., Fiwakesin, Agebde in Ikorodu, Lagos State, is standing trial on a two-count charge bordering on malicious damage.
Prosecutor Roman Unuigbe told the court that the accused committed the offences on Sept.16 at their residence.
Unuigbe alleged that the accused who suspected that her husband was having an illicit relationship with another woman, planted a tape in his office bag to record their conversations.
He said the accused also found out that her husband was spending time at a hotel with another woman and out of jealousy, took all the documents he had brought from work and set them on fire.
“Her husband, who made a report at the police station, said he wanted her charged to court for willfully destroying four international passports belonging to clients of Multi Choice Nigeria.’’
The offences contravened Sections 338 and 348 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State 2011. Ifeyinwa, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
In his ruling, the Chief Magistrate, Mr P.A. Ojo, granted her bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties in like sum.
He said one of the sureties must be a blood relation of the accused and should be gainfully employed in a reputable and verified organisation.
In addition, the magistrate said the sureties must show evidence of tax payment to the government. The case was adjourned to Nov. 4 for substantive trial.
- Lockdown: Wike Orders Arrest Of Two Pilots For Violating Border Closure Rules
- AfDB President, Akinwunmi Adesina Denies Allegations Of Misconduct
- Africa Faces Massive Job Cuts In The Energy Sector – AEC
- #COVID19: EU to Help Africa With €15 Billion
- Poor People Are Not Sufficiently Captured By SIP – Senate President
- Keep your Smartphone Corona-Free: Kaspersky Shares Top Tips
- COVID-19: Customs Boss Approves Release Of Rice, Other Items Worth N3.2bn For Distribution
- “I am ready to set aside my immunity” – Governor Wike reveals those making Rivers state Vulnerable to Coronavirus
- Breaking: Nigeria records 16 new cases of Coronavirus, total infections now 254
- Nigerian Doctor Dies From Corona Virus