Estimated Reading Time: <1
Edo State Governor, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole, has condemned calls for the sacking of the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, describing those behind the calls as “Facebook manipulators and palm wine drinkers.”
The governor explained that the people spearheading the agitation were people “who have been feeding fat on our common patrimony and manipulating the exchange rate, moving money across borders and taking advantage of electronic money transfer”.
Oshiomhole spoke with journalists on Wednesday evening in Abuja during a visit to the National Universities Commission to obtain license for the second newly established Edo State University, located in his village, Iyamho.
He advised proponents of the calls to stop wasting their time because President Muhammadu Buhari would not be deceived.
He added the hiring and firing of CBN governor might not be a political decision because institutions must be respected.
Oshiomhole said, “If a CBN governor is doing fine, the hiring and firing is not a matter that should be discussed by Facebook manipulators and by the time you unmasked the people behind it, they are palm wine drinkers.
“President Buhari is not going to be fooled by people who want to have a regime where government is just an onlooker and allow the naira to become worthless and people are making money from speculations; so, those guys are wasting their time.
“We have a new Federal Government that has won election on the basis on a mantra of change and there are all kinds of people who have made a lot of money from the economy without contributing anything by just playing on exchange rates.”
The governor explained there were many challenges in running the economy, especially when there is limited inflow of forex.
“And you do not want to trigger a process that will lead to endless devaluation that ultimately will reduce Nigerian naira to Zimbabwe dollar,” he added.
- Lagos witnessing rise in local transmission of Coronavirus cases since border closure – searching for 2,645 passengers
- Kaduna state Government searching and tracing of 119 contacts of the 5 positive cases recorded
- Breaking: Singer, Naira Marley Arrested and now in custody, Say Lagos state Police Command
- Funke Akindele Bello and husband have been sentenced
- Breaking: Buhari approves withdrawal of $150m from Sovereign Wealth Fund
- Actress, Funke Akindele, and Husband plead guilty, await court’s verdict
- Breaking: Police take Funke Akindele, husband, JJC Skillz, to court for flouting the lockdown order
- “We Have A Bigger Problem Than COVID-19, Which Is Hunger.”- Borno Governor
- 3 Nigerians die of Coronavirus in the US
- “No state should be seen as more important than any other” – Governor Wike thinks FG is playing politics with Coronavirus