Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Senate Minority leader and lawmaker representing Akwa-Ibom North West, Godswill Akapbio, has assured Nigerians that the senate will not pass into law any bill with the aim of sending social media users to jail.
The former governor of Akwa-Ibom made this known via his Twitter handle, @SenAkpabio, stressing that free speech is one of the basic ingredients of democracy and that the senate will ensure it is protected.
“Dear Nigerians, go to sleep & stop worrying; nobody is going to send social media users to jail through the senate. It will not happen”.
“We will not be in the Senate and watch such a Bill fly. We are committed to deepening democracy and democratic values”.
“Free Speech is one of the basic ingredients of democracy and many of us will ensure it is protected”.
“What many of you don’t know about our Senate President @bukolasaraki is that he will never watch and allow such a Bill Pass”.
“There are many of us in the Senate who will never allow such a thing to happen to free speech in this country”.
“No one is going to pass a law in the Senate that will ensure social media users are jailed for 2years. You have my assurance on this”.
- Bauchi State governor, Senator Bala Mohammed tests negative for Coronavirus
- Lagos commissioner says government will soon commence search for COVID-19 patients in communities
- NCDC confirms 14 new COVID-19 cases in Nigeria
- COVID-19: Enahoro, Ali Get Presidential Pardon… 2,600 Inmates Freed
- Pharmacist Arrested For Raping A 12 Year Old Boy
- Court ask Naira Marley to shoot a video against the spread of COVID-19 pandemic – The Singer had said he didn’t believe in the virus
- COVID-19: US Government repatriates 997 Citizens from Nigeria
- Just In: Lagos discharges seven COVID-19 patients
- Breaking: Nigeria’s Buhari grants presidential pardon, clemency to prison inmates over COVID-19
- Coronavirus may be “reactivating” in people who have been cured of the illness, according to Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention