Estimated Reading Time: <1
The presidency has declared that President Muhammadu Buhari is the leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
NewsWireNGR recalls that the National Publicity Secretary of the APC, lai Mohammed that President Muhammadu Buhari is not the leader of the party but a product of the APC.
Speaking Thursday while featuring on Channels Television Flagship Programme Sunrise Daily, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, explained why Buhari has yet to intervene in the crisis rocking the National Assembly.
According to Shehu, Buhari would only step into the matter at the point when the APC state governors inform him that they cannot fix the problem, adding that it was necessary because the governors had during a meeting they had with the President on Tuesday night promised to handle the issue.
Shehu extensively reviewed several meetings held between state governors and the President on the one hand and other party officials on the other, and revealed that the President “mostly listened to what they were saying” and “in fairness to them, the governors took responsibility for the way forward”.
He said: “When the governors met with the President, they told him that ‘we are the leaders in our states and we have influence over all of these senators. They come from our places and from us and we can handle it.’
“The President will step into the crisis at the point when the governors say they can no longer fix it.”
Shehu however insisted that even if the President steps in, he would not do that to the level of imposing leaders on the lawmakers, adding that Buhari’s position on the matter had remained that the National Assembly is an independent arm of government and he would not be seen meddling in their affairs.
The presidential spokesman equally hinted that what was currently playing out in the National Assembly does not suggest that the situation had gone out of control.
- No better opportunity than now for all Christians to pray – Buhari’s Easter Message to Nigerians
- COVID-19: Health Minister says he is not aware if medical doctors in Nigeria are paid hazard allowance
- I never knew Nigeria’s healthcare infrastructure was in such bad state – Senior Nigerian Govt official says
- Lagos Govt denies relaxing lockdown in the state for Easter celebration
- Bauchi State governor, Senator Bala Mohammed tests negative for Coronavirus
- Lagos commissioner says government will soon commence search for COVID-19 patients in communities
- NCDC confirms 14 new COVID-19 cases in Nigeria
- COVID-19: Enahoro, Ali Get Presidential Pardon… 2,600 Inmates Freed
- Pharmacist Arrested For Raping A 12 Year Old Boy
- Court ask Naira Marley to shoot a video against the spread of COVID-19 pandemic – The Singer had said he didn’t believe in the virus