President Goodluck Jonathan has ordered the reinstatement of Former Super Eagles manager Stephen Keshi to oversee the two remaining 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches.
The President was believed to have given the orders during his meeting with the bosses (Chris Giwa and Amaju Pinnick) of the two factions of the Nigeria Football Federation at the Aso Rock Villa yesterday where he asked them to resolve all issues between them by next week and should be sent a report.
Jonathan at the said meeting also asked Chris Giwa to vacate the court case in Jos, Plateau State, and ordered the immediate return of Keshi who has endeared the President since his nations cup win last year.
Keshi on stepping aside has said Nigeria “an unserious football country” after his departure earlier this month.
The Super Eagles will face Congo and South Africa next month in the remaining matches that would determine whether the reigning African champions would qualify for next year’s tournament.
Meanwhile, the court case against Nigeria’s football association that threatened to earn the country a lengthy ban from international competition has been dropped, lawyers said on Thursday.
The case had been brought by Chris Giwa, who was appointed to head the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) in controversial circumstances in August but then later ousted.
A judge in Jos had last week ruled that the appointment of a new president, Amaju Pinnick, and executive committee should be set aside. But a fresh hearing on Thursday was told that Giwa had now withdrawn his complaint.
“I have struck out the matter… The suit ceases to have life,” said judge Ambrose Allagoa.
Giwa’s lawyer Habila Ardzard said the decision had been made “as a result of pleas from so many well-meaning Nigerians and in the national interest”.
Joshua Onoja, representing the NFF, also confirmed that the case had been discontinued. Football’s world governing body FIFA had given African champions Nigeria until midday on Friday to overturn the court ruling and reinstate Pinnick or face a ban from international competition.
The threat came because FIFA statutes prevent football issues from being heard in a civil court. FIFA has in recent months repeatedly warned Nigeria that it faced sanctions over the running of the NFF and its handling of elections to appoint a new president and executive committee.