About 400 Boko Haram Insurgents were killed on Monday in a heavy battlebetween Nigerian troops and Boko Haram terrorist.
The Vanguard gathered that the launched the attempt to regain the three towns from the control of the insurgents in Victim, hometown of the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh and that the General Officer Commanding 3 division of the Army.
“I can assure you that we are advancing successfully. We have dealt a heavy blow on the terrorists. They didn’t expect what they are seeing. Our armoured tanks are blasting and they are running for their lives. The airforce is providing air cover and hitting them also.
“I cannot give you a categorical answer regarding casualties but so far about 400 of the terrorists have been killed. We have casualties among our soldiers also but the propaganda circulating that 70 of our men were killed is wishful thinking”.
“From reports on the ongoing battle, we may have lost a few soldiers but it cannot be confirmed because usually, they may have been injured and are holed up somewhere for first aid treatment” A military source told The Vanguard
Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade though confirmed the battle, said an accurate number of casualty could not be given until the troops on ground completes and mop up the operation.
According to an eye witness, “the army came in on Sallah day and since then fierce fighting has been on. But, as you can see the insurgents are moving away and the military are following them”.
“The insurgents who were in their thousands came through Uba and attacked the Nigeria troops. “The gallant Nigerians soldiers were attacked from the rear by the militants but the military men engaged them in fierce battle over five hours “.