Connect with us

World

Terrorist Attacks: Kenyans Urged To Watch World Cup Football Games At Home

Published

on

Kenya’s government has urged people to watch World Cup football matches in the comfort of their homes instead of in “crowded and unprotected open places”.

The advice comes after two days of attacks on Kenya’s coast earlier this week left more than 60 people dead.

They started in Mpeketoni as people were watching football on Sunday.

BBC reports that the interior ministry said that although security had been beefed up across the country, bar and restaurant owners should take extra precautions.

Somalia’s Islamist group al-Shabab said it carried out the attacks over two days in and around the town of Mpeketoni in revenge for the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia and the killing of Muslims.

But President Uhuru Kenyatta has said “local political networks” were to blame for the violence as members of one ethnic group were targeted.

Most of the dead were ethnic Kikuyus, like the president. Non-Muslims were singled out to be killed.

In some parts of northern Nigeria, public screenings of the World Cup have been banned because of threats by the militant Islamist Boko Haram group.

The militants were blamed for a suicide bombing which killed more than 20 people watching a match in Damaturu on Tuesday.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *