Confusion in Enugu on Thursday as members of the Biafra Zionist Federation allegedly announce the secession of the ‘Republic of Biafra’ in the studio of the Enugu State Broadcasting Service.
Two persons were reportedly killed in the process, including a policeman, during the face-off.
The secessionists, numbering about 15 invaded the studio of the ESBS with a recorded compact disc, which was said to contain an announcement of the secession of the Biafran Nation.
Recall the group earlier in the year attacked the Enugu State Government House to hoist the flag of the Republic of Biafra.
The group led by Benjamin Onwuka, ordered staff of the broadcast station that were present in the studio at the time to allow them air the recorded announcement, and also make a live broadcast. It was when the broadcasters resisted the directive and alerted the police that the scuffle started.
Confirming the incident, the Enugu State Commissioner of Police, Adamu Mohammed, addressing journalists after parading 13 members of the BZF,said the group wanted to burn the broadcast station.
“They wanted to make an appeal calling on all boys in Enugu to come out, they also asked students to come out, those people with Keke NAPEP to come out, they wanted to order all public places to be closed today, all schools to be closed, all markets to be closed, and all government elected officials to surrender all their property in their possession.
“These people went there with the intention of trying to overturn the government.”