A spokesman for the Borno State Governor has said parents, students and teachers have now identified 77 of the girls shown in the video, released Monday by Agence France-Presse, in which the dreaded Boko Haram sect showed some of the abducted girls.
“Remember, I also said that on face value, all the girls in the video are believed to be part of the abducted girls, but Governor Shettima has insisted that the names of all the girls in the video be established and compared with school and security records,” Isa Gusau said Tuesday.
He added: “The comparison will be done today as the identification exercise continues through the night until every person in that video is named.”
Earlier, Shettima had said that relatives had identified just 54 of the girls. Shettima said he met with families of the kidnapped girls earlier Tuesday in Borno state’s capital, Maiduguri, at which time the families identified some of their girls.
Shettima said the others also attended the school, but he did not explain how he knew that.
CNN has not yet received confirmation from any parents that their daughters were among the girls shown in the video.
Some relatives also told CNN that more than 50 parents of girls abducted last month watched the videos in the Mbalala district and also in Chibok, and didn’t see any of their daughters in the crowd.
That’s not necessarily surprising – the video shows about 100 girls, not the full 276 abducted from the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State by members of the Boko Haram.